Tuesday, August 29, 2017

'tis the (FAVORITE) season

this week at shopping our stash we're making cards (or other projects) inspired by our favorite season. traditionally, that would give us winter, spring, summer and fall; but then there are less conventional choices, like football season, or the holiday season, right? so there's a fair amount of scope on this one, and if you can make a convincing argument, your project will almost certainly count! i chose spring, and here is my card:

watercolor flowers painted in various shades of colorburst on strathmore watercolor paper and diecut with tim holtz's "wildflowers 2"; patterned paper: amy tangerine/american crafts, simple stories; butterfly stickers: studio calico; glossy white kromekote cardstock: the paper cut; ink: colorbox; adhesives: elmers brand gluetape, 3m foam tape, sewing machine 

spring really is my favorite season, though i confess that part of the reason is that it comes at the end of winter, which is my least favorite. my card is a kind of funky landscape that represents the things i especially love about spring: the way the sun gets stronger and warmer each day, the fun of watching the trees and grass come back to life, and my very favorite part... the return of the flowers, in every size, shape and color imaginable!


my card is pretty straightforward, though i do have a little stash trick of which i am a tiny bit proud, so i'll share it with you. i often wind up with strange, narrow offcuts of watercolor paper that are too small to save, but too big to throw away, if that makes sense? having recently acquired a gorgeous set of long skinny flower dies (tim holtz's "wildflowers 2") i've found that they are absolutely the perfect solution! so any time i have my colorbursts out, i'll paint a few of the strips with whatever flowery shades i'm using at the top, and whatever greens i'm using at the bottom. then, when i need wildflowers, i have plenty of choices all set to go, in beautiful watercolor shades! in this case i adhered all of the stems directly to my "landscape" panel, but popped the larger flower tops up on small slivers of foam tape for extra dimension. at the end, when i sewed around the panel for decorative purposes, i made sure to catch the bottom of each stem, just for extra reinforcement.


the SOS gang have lots more inspiration to share with you, from every season of the year! why not hop over right now, darlings?!

6 comments:

  1. Very frugal of you today. Super cute card love your reasoning behind spring being your favourite season. I too have a stash of those pesky strips ( I will need them !) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about the stash!!! fabulous card and so glad someone else decided to get out of the "fall" theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I've done the same with that exact die set and watercolor scraps! Then I even save the negatives! Waste not, want not! I love your springy card and hate winter too (well, specifically, the cold)... Anyway, terrific card. Super colorful. 💜💙💚

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! awesome idea to use water color scraps, which I also can't bring myself to throw out. I love your beautiful snippet of Spring, the colors on each of this flowers is just gorgeous.
    I'm not a Winter gal myself, do not like extreme weather and that is the main reason I love Autumn best.
    Lovely card, Lauren.
    Hugs,
    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren, oh these are so pretty, and your trick is great. I also like the multi level adhering of the flowers. That is a fun look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeously painted flowers Lauren, I love how you mixed the wild flowers with the squared pattern paper and stripes! I always use my scraps too to diecut, can't bear to throw anything away! :))

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~