Tuesday, September 13, 2016

anything goes? that sounds very laureny, lol!

i'm super excited to be the guest designer on the retro rubber challenge blog this week, especially since it's a sort of free-style week and you can basically do whatever you'd like! just remember to use at least one stamp that's more than a year old, AND you must mention the stamp and it's approximate age in your post, ok? other than that, you can go as wild as you want! here's my card, or at least... here's one of the cards i made:

paint chips from my mom's friend valerie, who gave me a whole entire huge keyring book of them, which i loooooove! thanks, valerie! ancient flourish stamp: sassafras lass... and yes, the package still said "lass" which shows you just how old these were, lol!; red background paper, floral and wooden button: prima; black swirl pearl bling: eyelet outlet; archival ink and black glossy cardstock: ranger; adhesives: elmer's brand gluetape, 3m foam tape 

ok, so, you can see i've taken the assignment of "anything goes" quite seriously, lol! my card was inspired by... wait, you'll LOVE this: a brochure i found in home depot! (see pic below) i saw all those colorful hexagons and i thought, "i have a hex punch! and i have paint chips! and i can stamp flourishes on top of them, then add some eyelet outlet bling!!!" and thus, my idea was born. the flourishes on this card are old faves from a set of sassafras lass clear stamps. i knew they were considerably more than a year old, because of course sassafras closed longer ago than that. what i didn't realize was that they had closed in 2011! and these were not new, even then. so they are well and truly *OLD* you guys. for that matter, the giant tattered angels flourish stamp that i used on my other card is pretty old, too. possibly not pre-2011, but at least pre-2013 because i know i had it before we moved into this house. 


so here's the other card, which is actually the one i made first. there's no bling on this one, but i've matted it on some rather gorgeous croc-textured vinyl paper, and i outlined the flourish with a sharpie to make it stand out a little more. oh, and i sewed around the edge, for texture. but other than that, it's the same idea, accomplished in the same way. 


i hope you'll come on over to retro rubber, see the other designers' awesome cards and join us in having fun with some of your older stamps! remember to mention the age of the stamps, and please note that your card may be submitted to a total of no more than *10* challenges, including retro rubber!

Click for Options
ready... set... STAMP!!! ♥

10 comments:

  1. Well Lauren, all I can say is WOW, WOW!! Both this cards are stunning, love the colors and let me tell you, my mouth just dropped when I saw that you used those strips of paint samples to create this beauties, Oh my gosh!! I love seeing the paints section on stores, the color palates are beautiful but I've never thought of using them in this most creative way!!
    Love the flourish stamped in black on both cards, truly a beautiful image to combine with your Hexagons, the texture on both cards is gorgeous, love that croc textured paper, never seen it before or, maybe I haven't look but it's awesome.
    Thank you for being our guest stamper this week at RETRO RUBBER, we so totally love to see you in the gallery again soon.
    Hugs,
    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Lauren, all I can say is WOW, WOW!! Both this cards are stunning, love the colors and let me tell you, my mouth just dropped when I saw that you used those strips of paint samples to create this beauties, Oh my gosh!! I love seeing the paints section on stores, the color palates are beautiful but I've never thought of using them in this most creative way!!
    Love the flourish stamped in black on both cards, truly a beautiful image to combine with your Hexagons, the texture on both cards is gorgeous, love that croc textured paper, never seen it before or, maybe I haven't look but it's awesome.
    Thank you for being our guest stamper this week at RETRO RUBBER, we so totally love to see you in the gallery again soon.
    Hugs,
    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lauren, you took Anything Goes to a whole new level! Your first card is stunning! Love the details that the two tone paint chips (!) provided. Stamping on top then added so much texture as well and took it up over the top! Your second card is just as lovely. You definitely have me wanting to try outlining my stamped images in the future. We so appreciate you joining us at Retro Rubber as our guest designer and look forward to seeing you in our gallery again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lauren! What a stunner of a card! I love the idea and yes you are on a whole other level! I never use my hexi punch because I can never think of anything good to do with it! I love the in your face pink with the bold black! I need to head to the paint store and pick up some paint chips. The last time I did something with paint chips was a card for Papertrey Ink and it turned out pretty well - but not like your card! Aren't we lucky to have you as our GD for this time? I think so! Outstanding and thank you for being our designer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am just in awe of your talent. The stamping over the paint chip pieces gives your pieces such a fabulous rich look. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the big blousey flower and stamped image beneath it, they really pop.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to re purpose paint chips! The flourishes and flower a beautiful. So glad you joined us as GD this week at Retro Rubber!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lauren, the pink and black card is stunning! Love how you used the paint chips in hexagon shapes with flourish stamping to bring out the pops of color! The black pearl bling and the lovely flower are great details and really help take this card to an outstanding level. Thanks so much for sharing this card and especially as our guest designer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lauren, everything you make screams fun times to me.. I seriously hope to run into you in NYC some day. Love this the colours and all the details are superb, truly anything goes. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your card is sooo exciting! Love the punch of color, the shapes, the stamping, the bling! I have some old Sassafrass sets too! Gotta bring them out! Thanks for the inspiration! Thanks for joining us! Loooove your card!❤️

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~