Tuesday, March 27, 2012

going round... in circles

woohoo! i'm excited to finally be sneaking in a shopping our stash challenge, after a crazy month of travel and other weirdness! this is a GREAT one, as well, but i will let miss carla tell us the brief:

Challenge 45:
~circles~ 
nesties, punches, hand cut, any circle-y stuff will work... 
or polka dots, paper with circular designs etc. 

here is my take on this fun idea, i made a round card, since i love them and haven't done one in a while!

(vintage: birds from a field guide, early 1900's sheet music, russian text paper; patterned paper: basic grey, prima; ribbon: may arts; circle and border punches: ek success; heart die: cuttlebug; pen: copic outliner; ink: colorbox, ranger; adhesives: tombow monorunner, uhu glue stick, gluedots, 3m foam tape) 

for added circle-y interest, i've done an "old school" scallop border all the way around which is just 1" punched circles sandwiched between the 6" circles which make up the front and back of my card. i'm proud to say i've achieved 100% stash-usage here in the form of genuine vintage (birds, house, music background) and some really old designer papers! :) the birdhouse is just a sort of truncated kite shape with border-punched strips and a heart added on; various layers are popped up on foam tape for a little extra dimension and i've twisted a bit of my favorite leafy ribbon around the fussy cut branches on which my birds are perched.

this is a thank you note to the friends with whom i stayed in california; and the sentiment--"home is where the heart is"-- i had originally planned to put on the front, but i ran out of room, so it's on the back, instead, along with a handwritten note. because "my process" is sometimes that scientific!!! :)

why not grab some fun polka dots, or your circle punch, or your vintage "spirograph" ('member that?! gosh i loved that thing!) and join the uber-fab SOS team in this awesome challenge, which runs all week!!! ♥

14 comments:

  1. Going to work on this today!! I saw your card on SOS before I saw this post and had to immediately come over here and comment. Its amazing!!! AMazingly gorgeousness!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing card. So classy.

    For the record I hated the Spirograph. I would spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to make perfect....what do you call them, spiros??? only to have the thingy slip out of the groove on the very last go-round so I'd end up with a straight line through it all. And apparently I'm still bitter about the whole thing too. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous card! I'm not sure what I love most: the shape, the images, the details! Your card makes my heart sing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out those fun circles...love your scallopy card!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!!! This is stunning .... I LOVE those birds and the house and the circle ... and EVERYthing!! Now I may have to Case THIS !!!! Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful :) love the birds!!!
    hubby and i are heading down to SD next week as he has never *gasp* been to sea world or the SD zoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow wow wow, I love this cute thing here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. And my cat would love it too -- he LOVES birds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE...LOVE...LOVE this... it's stunning, girl!!! Those birds are fabulous... so striking! A great use of the leaf ribbon... just a perfectly beautiful card, Lauren!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning card Lauren and I love the circles that makes the scallops. A perfect Lauren card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowza ... this is amazing ... love the fun little birdhouse and those vintage birds with the ribbon trim are perfection.

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~